Monday, March 31, 2008

Still undecided on what the game plan for treatment is

My childhood friend Ellen who now lives in California called me and talked about her breast cancer experience. She is a 17 year survivor, thank goodness, although she had a recurrence requiring mastectomy and lymph node dissection 3 years after her first treatment. But, she pointed out that there is a relationship between pancreatic cancer and breast cancer associated with the BRCA2 gene and that I might want to think about being tested. These breast cancer genes (BRCA1 and 2) are more common in Ashkenazi Jews (I am one) and my brother died of a relative to pancreatic cancer as did her Dad. She tested long after both of her family diagnoses and she is postive. So, I am planning to be tested, too, as I would opt for bilateral mastectomies if I am positive. It takes about 4 weeks to get the results from the testing so my game plan is delayed but I think for a good reason! Thanks for all of your good wishes.

No comments:

Carol and Courtney dancing!

Carol and Courtney dancing!